CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Welcome to our life!

This is a blog from a Christian mom who's trying to figure out how to keep God first in her family while managing the day to day! Be Blessed!

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Nostalgic

I know I've been absent from the blogging scene for a while, but that's because my camera is broken. So all of my crafty things have only been shared on fb or instagram lately. That's ok... today's post is of a different sort all together. 

Growing up holidays with my extended family was always a must. We didn't live close to most of them so my parents always made sure that holidays were celebrated together. I posted a song to my brother's fb page today called Granddaddy's Gun by Aaron Lewis and it made me really miss my grandparents. Only one of my grandparents is still living (and I'm pretty sure she'll outlive me!). I started thinking about how fun it was to see all of my cousins and aunts and uncles over those fun filled, house packed weekends. We didn't care that there wasn't enough room for everyone to have a bed to sleep in, or that the kids table had to be on the back porch because the kitchen was too full. We only cared that there was enough laughter to fill 10 houses and plenty of food to go around. We enjoyed each others company and talked about the "good ole days". We spent a lot of time playing cards and creating mischief. We ate too much and fought over the last yeast roll. We thanked God for all of his many blessings and we loved one another. In the Hukill/Burke family we "hazed" the new family members by quizzing them on who belonged to who.  In the Harrison family we fought over who was sleeping with Margie's leg. Each side of my family was the same though. No matter which side we were spending the holiday with we knew we were loved and that no matter how long it'd been since you'd seen someone, family is family. And you love your family. Each year I remember my Grandmother (whoever's house we happened to be at) smiling and saying something like "My cup runneth over". Now that I'm an adult, I know exactly what they all meant. Being together and having the love of your family makes all of the difficult things worth while. My heart is so full with all of the blessings that I have. 

I feel extremely blessed to have grown up in a family where being together was important. As we've all grown up and started our own families, it hasn't always been as easy to get together. But to all of my family near and far, this year (as every year) I want you to know how thankful I am for all of you. And how much I love you. May God's blessings pour out on you this year and may you know His love and peace always!

Happy Thanksgiving,

Shar

1 comments:

THE PILGRIM

Backatcha, cuz! Great post. I tell my boys every year how we all used to be laid out stacked like cordwood in grandmas living room shouting at the Cowboys and Redskins!

Post a Comment